Intimate Partner Violence and Sexual Abuse among LGBT People
This course provides an overview of existing research on intimate partner violence and sexual abuse among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and makes recommendations for future research. Over 40 studies from 1989 to the present were reviewed to provide the reader with findings on the prevalence of IPV and IPSA, survivor barriers to seeking help, and the quality of available assistance for LGBT people. This course is based upon material published by the Williams Institute at the University of California School of Law and is available as an open access article.
This course on intimate partner violence and sexual abuse among LGBT people is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of sexual abuse and intimate partner violence in the LGBT community. The course material includes a literature review of prevalence, survivor barriers to seeking help, and the quality of available assistance for LGBT people. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require continuing education courses for license renewal.
The course is based on a journal article which includes research. It contains statistical analysis and data that some clinicians enjoy reading and others do not. A major benefit of reading research-based articles for continuing education is they provide practitioners with the latest findings in their field.
Authors: Taylor N,T. Brown and Jody L. Herman
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding intimate partner violence and sexual abuse in the LGBT community. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe the prevalence of IPV and IPSA among LGBT people
• Identify barriers to survivors when seeking help
• Recognize the quality of assistance available to LGBT survivors
Citation: Brown, Taylor NT and Herman, Jody L. Intimate Partner Violence and Sexual Abuse among LGBT People: A Review of Existing Research. (November, 2015) The Williams Institute, University of California School of Law.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1637
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .