Impact of Social and Cultural Environment on Health
The Impact of Social and Cultural Environment on Health begins by presenting an overview of past research into the topic, including a discussion of educational attainment, income, occupational status, social supports, and social networks. The aspects of health which are influenced by the social environment are then presented. In short, this course expounds upon the state of the field in the measurement of social-environmental variables and reviews the empirical understanding of the mechanisms by which these variables influence disease onset and progression.
This course is based upon material published by the National Academies Press for the National Academy of Sciences and is available as an open access article.
This course on the impact of social and cultural environment on health is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the health impacts of social and cultural environment. The course material includes a review of the current state of the field in measuring social-environmental variables and how they influence disease onset and progression.
Authors: Lyla M. Hernandez and Dan G. Blazer (Eds)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the impact of social and cultural environment on health. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe past research into the influence of social and cultural variables on health
• Identify the importance of social connections for health
• Recognize the aspects of health influenced by the social environment
Citation: Genes, Behaviors, and the Social Environment: Moving Beyond the Nature-Nurture Debate (2016). Committee on Assessing Interactions among Social, Behavioral, and Genetic Factors in Health. Lyla M. Hernandez and Dan G. Blazer, Editors. ISBN 0309660459.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1632
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .