Genetic Environmental and Personality Determinants of Health Risk Behaviors
Genetic, Environmental, and Personality Determinants of Health Risk Behaviors provides a brief overview of the epidemiology of tobacco use, unhealthy diet, obesity, and physical inactivity in relation to health outcomes. The genetic and environmental determinants of these risk behaviors and their underlying motivational systems are discussed. The measurement of intermediate phenotypes, such as personality and temperament, is presented as a means of advancing the knowledge of the role of gene-environment interactions in risk behaviors and health. The course concludes with a discussion of the effects of emotional or motivational states as they affect health risk behaviors.
This course is based upon material published by the National Academies Press for the National Academy of Sciences and is available as an open access article.
This course on health risk behaviors and their determinants is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the determinants of risky health behaviors. The course material includes information related to genetics, the environment, and personality factors and their relationship to health risk behaviors.
Authors: Lyla M. Hernandez and Dan G. Blazer (Eds)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding determinants of health risk behaviors. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe health risk behaviors
• Identify epidemiology and health consequences of tobacco use, unhealthy diet, obesity, and physical inactivity
• Recognize how measuring intermediate phenotypes helps delineate the role of gene-environment interactions in risk behaviors and health
Citation: Genes, Behaviors, and the Social Environment: Moving Beyond the Nature-Nurture Debate (2016). Committee on Assessing Interactions among Social, Behavioral, and Genetic Factors in Health. Lyla M. Hernandez and Dan G. Blazer, Editors. ISBN 0309660459. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1631
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .