Gambling Problems An Introduction for Behavioral Health Services Providers
This course provides an introductory-level overview for behavioral health services providers on the topic of gambling problems such as pathological gambling, gambling disorder, and problem gambling. After presenting DSM criteria for diagnosis, the course discusses prevalence and epidemiology, as well as the links between gambling problems and other behavioral health conditions. Tools for screening, assessing, and diagnosing are discussed, as are treatment strategies. Resources for providers, clients, and families are listed.
This course is based upon material published in the Advisory series from SAMHSA and is available as an open access article.
This course on behavioral health and gambling problems is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of gambling as a behavioral health concern. The course material includes a review of treatment strategies. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Knowledge Application Program
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding behavioral health assessment, screening, diagnosis, and treatment of individuals for whom gambling has become problematic. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe the DSM criteria for diagnosis of gambling disorder
• Identify the links between gambling disorders and other behavioral health concerns
• Recognize strategies useful in treating gambling problems
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2014). Gambling Problems: An Introduction for Behavioral Health Services Providers. Advisory, Volume 13, Issue 1. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD and committee in 2019 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1626
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .