Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Substance Use Disorders
This course presents the diagnostic criteria for OCD and reviews the frequency of its co-occurrence with substance use disorders. The relationship between OCD and other mental disorders is covered. Suggestions for screening and treating OCD are presented for counselors whose practice focuses on substance use disorders. The article is meant to raise counselor awareness of OCD and its relationship to substance use disorders, and to provide an overview of screening and evidence-based treatments for OCD. This course is based upon material published in the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Advisory series and is available as an open access article.
This course on OCD and SUD is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the co-occurrence of obsessive-compulsive disorders and substance-use disorders. The course material includes a review of diagnostic criteria, screening, and treatment of OCD. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding OCD and SUD. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe the essential elements of obsessive compulsive disorder
• Identify the relationship between OCD and substance use disorders
• Recognize effective treatment for OCD in the context of substance use disorders
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2016). Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Substance Use Disorders. Advisory, Volume 15 Issue 3. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1589
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .