Children and Mental Health – Depression and Suicide in Children and Adolescents
This detailed article examines Depression and Suicide in Children and Adolescents. The article reviews the prevalence and causes of depression in children and adolescents. It describes the treatment approaches used for depression in children and adolescents. Finally, it identifies the treatment approaches for prevention of suicide in children and adolescents. This course is based on a portion of chapter three of a publication by the Surgeon General’s office entitled; Mental Health: A report by the Surgeon General. The report is also on the SAMSHA website. Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. This publication provides excellent information for the mental health professional, especially for those clinicians who work with children and adolescents and provides the practitioner with a great deal of much needed information.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for dieticians and nutritionists who work with children and adolescents. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their clinical skills.
Author: Surgeon General
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of children and mental health. Specifically, a professional will:
Demonstrate an understanding of the prevalence and causes of depression in children and adolescents.
Describe the treatment approaches for depression in children and adolescents.
Identify the treatment approaches for the prevention of suicide in children and adolescents.
Citation: Surgeon General. Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Chapter 3 Children and Mental Health. Bethesda (MD): US Department of Health and Human Services. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 155
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .