The Development and Maintenance of Drug Addiction
This course reviews the importance of positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement in the context of developing and maintaining drug addiction. The role of each in the early and late stages of addiction, the transition point between early and late stages, the relative importance of positive and negative reinforcement at each stage, and the degree to which the specifics of negative reinforcement can be generalized across the range of addictive agents are considered here. The article closes with a discussion of how to move the field of addiction studies forward.
This course is based upon material published in Neuropsychopharmacology and is available as an open access article.
This course on the development and maintenance of drug addiction is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of drug addiction. The course material includes a review and comparison of the works of Roy A. Wise from the National Institutes of Health, and George F. Koob from the Scripps Research Institute. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Roy A. Wise and George F. Koob
Learning Objectives:This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding positive and negative reinforcement related to addiction. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the issues of cause and consequence in positive reinforcement related to addiction.
- Identify the importance of negative reinforcement to addiction.
- Recognize the cycle of positive and negative reinforcement in addiction.
Citation: Wise, Roy A. and Koob, George F. The Development and Maintenance of Drug Addiction. Neuropsychopharmacology 39: 254-262 (2014). Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1543
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .