Ethics: NASW Code of Ethics – A Review
This course is a review of the NASW, the National Association of Social Workers, Code of Ethics which was recently updated on August 4, 2017. At this time, the Delegate Assembly of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) approved the most substantive revision to the NASW Code of Ethics since 1996. The new version of the NASW Code of Ethics went into effect January 1, 2018.
Remember why you became a social worker in the first place. Read the NASW code of ethics for a review of the foundations of our field. This course will remind you of the core principles that guide all social work practice, regardless of setting and client population. It is targeted for beginner, intermediate and advanced social workers. It is also appropriate for other mental health professionals who are interested in another perspective on ethics.
While designed for social workers, this course may also be beneficial to psychologists, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists who work in multidisciplinary teams. Most states that require continuing education courses for licensed professionals require ethics courses. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn about the changes in the NASW ethical code.
The course may meet the 2 hour mandatory license renewal requirements for many licensed professions. Virginia Social Workers – This course meets the 2 hour ethics course requirement for license renewal.
Authors: The National Association of Social Workers has offices in all 50 states and its headquarters is in Washington, D.C. Visit them on the web at www.socialworkers.org
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with a review of common ethical problems faced by mental health professionals as well as ways to avoid them. Specifically, a professional will able to:
- Identify core values on which social work’s mission is based.
- Summarize broad ethical principles that reflect the profession’s core values.
- Identify relevant considerations when professional obligations conflict or ethical uncertainties arise.
Citation: National Association of Social Workers (2018). Code of Ethics of the National Association of Social Workers – the code can be downloaded for free from the NASW website at NASW Code of ethics Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 147
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .