Older Adults and Mental Health
This course is based on chapter five of a publication by the Surgeon General’s office entitled; Mental Health: A report by the Surgeon General. The report is also on the SAMSHA website. Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General – Table of Contents. This is a detailed article that first reviews normal developmental milestones of aging, then considers mental disorders in older people—their diagnosis and treatment. Finally, the chapter reviews the supports for older persons that extend beyond traditional, formal treatment settings. This publication provides excellent information for the mental health professional, especially for those clinicians who work with older adults and provides the practitioner with a great deal of much-needed information.
Social workers, mental health counselors, marriage and family therapists and certified addiction professionals can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as dieticians and nutritionists who may work with the elderly. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners.
Author: Surgeon General
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of older adults and mental health. Specifically, a professional will:
- Identify the normal developmental milestones of aging.
- Describe mental disorders in older people— including their diagnosis and treatment.
- Identify the supports for older persons that extend beyond traditional treatment settings.
Citation: Surgeon General. Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. Chapter 5 Older Adults and Mental Health. Bethesda (MD): US Department of Health and Human Services. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 144
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .