Top Issues for LGBT Populations
Course Description: This course is based upon material published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and is available as an open access article.
This article discusses health issues and concerns within the LGBT populations. LGBT referring to a community of individuals who are attracted to the same sex. This article emphasizes the concept of gender identification, not just sexual attraction. This will be discussed through different stages of development as well as the differences between gender and sex. This article looks as different LGBT terms and their proper definitions as well as medical perspectives regarding different diseases or health concerns and their prevalence within the LGBT community.
This course on health issues for LGBT populations is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the LGBT community and possible health issues within the community from a medical standpoint. The course material includes a literature review of definitions and medical research. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding female offenders. Specifically, a professional will:
- Identify gender responsiveness within the Transition from Prison to Community Initiative.
- Distinguish the two contrasting approaches to offender reentry.
- Describe the Transition from Prison to Community Initiative framework.
Citation: SAMHSA (2016). Top Health Issues for LGBT Populations. Retrieved from http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA12-4684/SMA12-4684.pdf on 4/3/17.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1372
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .