Screening and Evaluation of Viral Hepatitis
Course Description: This course is based upon material published in the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and is available as an open access article.
Medical staff members at substance abuse treatment programs might assume the primary role for screening individuals for hepatitis and explaining the screening process and test results. Opioid treatment programs with medical staff members should screen for hepatitis B and C at intake and periodically as indicated. In programs without onsite medical staff, clients may be referred elsewhere for screening with minimal (if any) involvement of the substance abuse treatment program. In this chapter the treatment programs role in the screening process will be discussed as well as different hepatitis screenings. Counselors can use the screening as an opportunity to educate clients about hepatitis, identify patterns of risky behavior, urge clients to get vaccinated, and educate to prevent hepatitis transmission.
This course on viral hepatitis is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of viral hepatitis and substance abuse treatment. The course material includes a brief literature review. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
The course is based on a journal article which includes research. It contains statistical analysis and data that some clinicians enjoy reading and others do not. A major benefit of reading research based articles for continuing education is they provide practitioners with the latest findings in their field.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding viral hepatitis. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the role of antigens and antibodies when screening for viral hepatitis.
- Identify differences in screening between hepatitis A, B, and C.
- Recognize counseling practices that educate, support, and motivate clients undergoing screening.
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, (2011). Addressing Viral Hepatitis in People with Substance Use Disorders. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Retrieved from http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA11-4656/TIP53.pdf Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1371
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .