Depression in Children and Adolescents by the NIMH
This course is based on a fact sheet publication by the National Institute of Mental Health that summarizes some of the latest scientific findings on child and adolescent depression and lists resources where physicians and mental health practitioners can obtain more information. This document provides data on the scope of the problem of childhood and adolescent depression, screening instruments that are recommended for use, risk factors and a brief overview on treatment options for this group.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as dieticians and nutritionists who work with children and adolescents. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about depression in children and adolescents.
Author: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with a review of depression in children and adolescence in the United States. Specifically, a professional will:
- Learn and be able to demonstrate an understanding the scope of the problem of depression in children and adolescents in the US.
- Learn and be able to demonstrate an understanding of the clinical characteristics of and risk factors for depression in this age group.
- Learn and be able to demonstrate an understanding the treatment options supported by research, including a brief review of medication use with children and adolescents.
Citation: National Institute of Mental Health. Depression in Children and Adolescents. NIH Publication No. 00-4744. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 137
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .