Psychopharmacology: A Means to Treat Depression
Course Description: This course is based upon material published in the International Journal of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences and is available as an open access article.
This literature review will examine antidepressants as a treatment of depression. The aim of this article is to also discuss the uses of various pharmaceutical treatments that may not typically be used to treat depression. The review will describe how antidepressants influence the chemical structure of the brain to alleviate depression, their overall effects on the individual, and an analysis of their effectiveness as a treatment. There are several types of antidepressant medications prescribed to patients, this article evaluates the four categories these drugs belong to. The four categories of antidepressant medications are: monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs). In conclusion, by understanding the brain and the affects depression has on it, medical practitioners and psychologist can better treat their clients with contemporary and alternative treatments.
This course on psychopharmacology is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of depression. The course material includes a brief literature review. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
The course is based on a journal article which includes research. It contains statistical analysis and data that some clinicians enjoy reading and others do not. A major benefit of reading research based articles for continuing education is they provide practitioners with the latest findings in their field.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding psychopharmacology in treating depression. Specifically, a professional will:
Describe what depression is and how it can be treated.
Identify different pharmaceuticals used for the treatment of depression.
Recognize the effectiveness of pharmaceuticals in the treatment of depression and the role of dosing in doing so.
Citation: Stewart, D., (2013). Psychopharmacology: A Means to Treat Depression. International Journal of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences. doi: 10.5923/j.ijpbs.20130305.04. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1363
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .