Counseling Approaches for People Who Have Viral Hepatitis
Course Description: This course is based upon material published in A Treatment Improvement Protocol from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, and is available as an open access article.
Counselors are in a unique position to provide education, emotional support, and other types of assistance for clients who have hepatitis and substance use disorders (SUDs). To be effective, counselors must first be well educated about hepatitis. Therefore, key counselor goals should include things such as ensuring patient safety, and providing reliable information to clients and their families among many other that will be discussed in this chapter. Counselors can help clients develop social support systems and provide effective, targeted case management by means discussed in the following chapter.
This course on viral hepatitis counseling, is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the proper way to council clients who have viral hepatitis. The course material includes a literature review of interventions. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding viral hepatitis patient counseling. Specifically, a professional will:
Describe effective case management.
Identify ways to build a therapeutic relationship to help clients understand their diagnosis.
Recognize the need for counseling strategies.
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, (2011). A Treatment Improvement Protocol: Addressing Viral Hepatitis in People with Substance Use Disorders. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Retrieved from http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA11-4656/TIP53.pdf. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1333
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .