Culture Counts – by the Surgeon General updated 2018
This course is based on a comprehensive report on mental health and ethnicity published by the surgeon general. This course provides the reader with up to date information on the status of, needs for, availability of and outcomes of mental health services for minority groups. It is the introductory chapter of an extensive report on culture and mental health in America. Updates from NAMI have been added as well as additional references.
This course is designed for both clinicians and administrators who work in both private and public, and urban and rural areas. Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who work with a diverse client base. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to improve the skills in the area of cross-cultural competency and multiculturalism.
Author: Surgeon General of the United States
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with information about how culture affects mental health and mental health care in the United States. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe how culture affects the prevalence and presentation of mental illness.
- Identify how culture affects treatment-seeking behaviors and stigma associated with mental illness.
- culturally competent evidence-based treatment for mental illness.
Citation: Surgeon General of United States. Culture Counts, Mental Health: Culture, Race and Ethnicity. A Report of the Surgeon General. Updates added by DiDona, T.M. (2018). From sources in NAMI – with additional references added.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 133
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .