Susan Brown- Breaking the Cycle of Trauma, Addiction, and Other Compulsive Behaviors: An Integrative EMDR Therapy Approach
This advanced workshop is for EMDR clinicians who want to develop their skills working with trauma, substance use disorder, and other compulsive behaviors. Key components from several modified addiction approaches (DeTUR, FSAP, Addiction Memory, Idealized Positive Affect and Avoidance) are synthesized and taught as an “integrative” model that includes: case conceptualization, safe preparation, timing, target selection, and relapse prevention within a trauma-informed framework.
Guided by current research and the principles of Adaptive Information Processing, this workshop employs lecture, discussion, video examples, and experiential practice to identify and process both negative and positive addiction-specific targets to break the cycle of trauma and “cue-driven” relapse. Participants will learn how EMDR therapy, as a memory-based approach, can address these highly treatment-resistant behaviors and facilitate a resetting of the neural circuitry where life’s focus shifts from simply surviving—to thriving. Join us for this 2 day event and learn how to work with your clients to systematically untangle the web of addiction and create a life worth staying sober for.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Susan Brown in a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Board Certified Diplomat in private practice in San Diego, CA, specializing in the treatment of trauma and addictions. She was a principal investigator in a pilot study utilizing an Integrated Trauma Treatment Program (ITTP) in the Thurston County Drug Court in Washington State combining Seeking Safety and EMDR therapy. She has co-authored a book chapter and articles on the subjects of trauma, addiction, and personality disorder. She has presented nationally on the use of EMDR therapy with co-occurring trauma and addiction. She is an EMDRIA-Approved Consultant and Basic Training Facilitator for the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Institute.
You can contact the presenter by email: email@example.com
Apply the Integrative EMDR Addictions Approach including elements from credited contributors synthesized within EMDR therapy’s 8-phase, 3-pronged protocol.
Identify at least 3 neurobiological mechanisms involved in the development and maintenance of addictive symptoms and describe them in simple terms to reduce client shame and stigma.
Utilize at least 3 specialized preparation procedures to increase positive affect tolerance, diminish affect phobia, and develop more dependable self-regulation.
Develop an addiction-specific treatment plan that includes positive and negatively charged memory elements and timing of target sequence (What to do and when to do it).
Register by visiting: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ebwsmp3g8d721e22&llr=6tcl6mlab
2016 Dates of Training:
San Diego, CA
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 13 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1326
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Interactive .