Interested in addressing Addictions and Behavioral Addictions with EMDR and getting lost in a maze of Feeling States, DeTURs and stabilization barriers? Need some direction? No worries, we’ve been down those roads and created a step by step, phase by phase, treatment map that we want to share it with you!
Through the use of demonstration, case presentation, lecture and video clips, this workshop explores the use of EMDR in the treatment of chemical dependency and other compulsive behaviors—specifically with clients who are not yet abstinent. This treatment focused workshop teaches you how to stabilize clients and desensitize addiction memory networks without triggering increased substance use or relapse.
Presented by Hope Payson LCSW, LADC and Kate Becker LCSW, RYT
Hope Payson, LCSW, LADC is a licensed clinical social worker, alcohol and drug counselor and an EMDRIA Approved Consultant who specializes in the treatment of addiction and trauma. She has over 20 years of experience working in community mental health in the following capacities: director of a supportive housing program for domestic violence survivors, coordinator of an assertive community treatment team and originator of a homeless outreach program that included on-site assessment, treatment placement and long term follow up for clients with histories of addiction and trauma. She was the Clinical Director for EMDR HAP for seven years and remains an active HAP volunteer. She currently coordinates a group private practice in Winsted, Ct. She provides EMDR consultations to clinicians working in private and community settings.
Kate Becker, LCSW, RYT is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certified EMDR Therapist, and Registered Yoga Teacher. Kate’s focus is in the treatment of addiction, anxiety disorders and trauma. She has worked in community mental health and substance abuse clinics, group homes, and in palliative care. Kate has facilitated a variety of therapy groups including Relapse Prevention, Anger Management, Co-Occurring disorders, and DOVE (domestic violence offenders). Kate is the founder and director of A Room with a New View, Inc.; a non-profit that provides renovation and decorating to non-profit group homes and community centers. She is currently an EMDR Consultant-in-Training, and is in private practice in Glastonbury, CT.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding EMDR. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe how to take a trauma/addiction sensitive client history and assess for stage of change and common risk factors.
• Identify at least 2 addiction specific stabilization techniques that can be used with addictions and non-abstinent clients.
• Recognize history and case conceptualization concerns unique to clients with histories of addictions.
• Describe the steps involved in addressing and desensitizing cravings, urges and triggers related to substance/behavioral addictions.
• Identify how to address the maladaptive “positive” feelings, body sensations or irrational cognitions linked to addictions.
• Identify solid target sequence plans for clients that are designed to improve their lives.
Visit Hope’s site to register today! http://www.hopepayson.com/