Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors among Detained Youth
This course is based upon material published by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) a division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and is available as an open access publication.
The course material summarizes the thoughts, behaviors, and psychiatric disorders associated with suicide in juvenile detainees. Researchers at Northwestern University conducted a longitudinal study of 1,829 detained juveniles between ages 10 and 18 at the Cook County Juvenile Temporary Detention Center in Chicago, IL. This course material presents the results of that research.
This course on suicidal thoughts and behaviors among detailed youth is designed for clinical social workers, drug counselors, psychologists, professional counselors, substance abuse counselors and nurses who do clinical work.
This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their knowledge of suicidal behaviors and thoughts in detained youth. The course material includes an introduction to the literature on suicide in detained adolescents as well as significant clinical factors.
This course is particularly useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Abram et al. for Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) a division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding suicidal thoughts and behaviors among detained youth. Specifically, a professional will:
Identify the incidence of suicidal ideations in detained youth.
Identify the incidence of suicidal behaviors and attempts in detained youth.
Recognize risk factors to consider when doing a suicide assessment for detained youth.
Citation: Abram, Choe, Washburn, Teplin, King, Dulcan and Bassett for Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) a division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs. (2014). Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors among Detained Youth. The research described in this bulletin was supported under grant numbers 1999–JE–FX–1001, 2005–JL–FX–0288, and 2008–JF–FX–0068 from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP), U.S. Department of Justice. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1274
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .