CEU Course Details
Healing the Heart of Complex Trauma with EMDR and Ego State Therapy. Co-Editors Carol Forgash and Margaret Copeley Springer
***This is a “book” format course and is not included in the unlimited online package.
***This course requires a book purchase in addition to the exam fee.
The powerful benefits of EMDR in treating PTSD have been solidly validated. In this groundbreaking new work nine master clinicians show how complex PTSD involving dissociation and other challenging diagnoses can be treated safely and effectively. They stress the careful preparation of clients for EMDR and the inclusion of ego state therapy to target the dissociated ego states that arise in response to severe and prolonged trauma.
This book course is has been developed for EMDR practitioners to help them provide successful EMDR treatment to clients diagnosed with complex trauma. Complex trauma victims have problems dealing with triggers, dissociation, affect disregulation, and stress. They require a tri-phasic trauma treatment approach integrated into the EMDR protocol: including 1: stabilization, 2: EMDR trauma processing and 3: resolution.
“Healing the Heart of Trauma and Dissociation with EMDR and Ego State Therapy” provides therapists with a comprehensive treatment approach that weaves ego state and dissociative treatment strategies into the EMDR protocol to help overcome these specific problems.
The material compiled in this book covers a range of theory—including the neurobiology of dissociation and the use of hypnosis, family systems therapy, and cognitive schemas. It also includes diagnostic categories (the spectrum of dissociative disorders and in particular dissociative identity disorder) and several client populations (couples, terror survivors). The case studies described in each chapter ground theory in practical application, illustrating the phased treatment techniques involved in preparing clients with Ego State therapy and related modalities within the EMDR protocol.
The book course provides an opportunity for EMDR trained clinicians to learn how to apply this integrative EMDR treatment in their practice, while earning 8 EMDRIA CE credits.
PLEASE NOTE: This course is not a substitute for the EMDR Basic Training and does not qualify as training in EMDR.
- Clinicians will be able to identify skills, interventions and modalities to teach in the stabilization phase that help clients manage symptoms of dissociation and deal successfully with problems of affect regulation.
- Clinicians will learn how to assess clients for dissociative problems and to determine the kind of dissociative disorder and type of PTSD (i.e. DID, DDNOS, complex PTSD) so that they can develop a treatment plan and determine which stabilizing interventions to utilize.
- Clinicians will understand the various theories of dissociation and current attachment theory. They will have an understanding of the neurobiology of dissociation and how attachment problems and dysregulated physiological systems play a part in the development of dissociation.
- Clinicians will be able to identify the tri-phase trauma model of treatment and how it can be integrated into the eight phase EMDR protocol.
- Clinicians will understand ego state theory and therapy principles and how and when to integrate them into the tri-phase trauma model. They will learn how to work with ego states in each phase of the EMDR protocol.
- They will learn the red flags that indicate a need for a longer stabilization phase of treatment prior to EMDR trauma processing and the technical challenges they may encounter in working with dissociative clients, especially those with Dissociative Identity Disorder.
- Clinicians will learn new treatment approaches in the EMDR treatment of Dissociative Identity Disorder: ACT-AS-IF approach for preparation phase work and the ARCHITECTS process for conducting EMDR sessions.
- Clinicians will learn readiness criteria for moving clients from stabilization into the trauma processing phase of EMDR treatment.
- They will learn how to combine hypnosis with EMDR and ego state work for ego strengthening in the preparation phase of treatment, stressing the importance of nurturing ego strength in clients suffering from complex post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Clinicians will learn how Cognitive Schema Work is useful in combination with ego state work to identify maintenance of irrational beliefs and behaviors and how schema work is used to identify the most accurate negative cognition.
- They will learn how to reverse dissociative processes in order to preserve emotional safety and prepare for trauma processing and deal appropriately with avoidance defences which can stall processing if ignored.
This is a book course and students will need to purchase the book seperately. We have provided a link to purchase the book. The link can be accessed by clicking on the “Get Materials” button below.
Ce-Classes.com is approved by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org Approved Continuing Education Program (ACE). Approval Period: 1/5/17 – 1/5/19. (Provider # 1142) Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for the program. Social Workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
Social workers participating in this course will receive 8 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) Provider #96981. Expires 9/1/2017
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2019
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Ce-Classes.com is approved to provide continuing education by the following professional organizations: ASWB and APA. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by these nationally recognized certifying bodies to satisfy renewal requirements.
- The California Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (CAADAC) Provider Number OS-12-174-1116 Expires 11-2018
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2018.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider – 1622 expires 2/28/2018.
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1240
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2019
- New York Social Work Board NYSED Provider #120
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2018 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2018.
All courses are available for Homestudy. For information about Homestudy courses and about our
Administrative policies visit our About Us page.
If you would like to take this course for your CE program, it is recommended that you:
1. Print this page
2. Log In
3. Click the “Get Course Materials” link above, if you do not currently possess the course material
4. Answer the questions on this page as you study your course material
5. Return to this page
6. Click the Take Exam link above to purchase this course
7. Submit your exam and score 75% – if you score lower, review your errors and retake exam.
8. Click on the Print Certificate link
9. Complete the course evaluation, (all items must be completed)
10. Print your certificate
Some courses require Adobe Acrobat reader to be installed. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader,
Download it here for FREE!