Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment
This course is based upon material published by SAMHSA and is available on their website. It is a quick guide to a treatment improvement protocol (TIP).
The course material was developed to accompany Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment, Number 45 in the Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) series published by the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). This Quick Guide is based entirely on TIP 45 and is designed to meet the needs of the busy clinician for concise, easily accessed how to information.
The course material is divided into 9 sections to help readers locate what they need to know quickly. It includes an introduction, biomedical and psychosocial issues, strategies for engagement and recovery, referrals and linkages, Biopsychosocial screening and assessment, and detoxification services for specific substances commonly abused. A section on levels of care is also included in the source document, but it should be noted that ASAM criteria for levels of care and patient placement have very recently been updated and the ASAM content in this source document is no longer the most current. This section is relatively short and the other portions of the quick guide are very helpful for clinicians, nurses and substance abuse counselors working in detoxification or substance abuse treatment.
This course is appropriate for beginning and intermediate level practitioners who wish to develop their knowledge of detoxification and substance abuse treatment. This course is particularly useful for licensed clinicians who require continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding detoxification and substance abuse treatment. Specifically, a professional will:
Identify biomedical and psychosocial issues associated with detoxification.
Distinguish strategies for engagement, recovery, referrals and linkages in detoxification.
Recognize appropriate screening and assessment protocols as well as detoxification services for specific substances.
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment Quick Guide for Clinicians, Based on TIP 45. DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 06-4225
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1234
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .