DSM-5 Overview and Substance Abuse
This course is based upon the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5 published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA).
The purpose of the DSM is to provide the criteria for the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders and it is used by mental health and healthcare professionals throughout the world. In addition, DSM criteria are utilized for billing purposes by major insurance companies in the US.
This course summarizes many of the changes from the DSM-IV to the DSM-5 including changes to the organization of the manual with a focus on diagnosis and substance abuse. This course on the DSM-5 is designed for clinical social workers, psychologists, professional counselors, drug counselors, and nurses who do clinical work.
This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the DSM-5. The course material includes an introduction to the literature on the DSM-5 as well as a brief review of diagnostic criteria and significant etiological factors.
This course is particularly useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Toni DiDona, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., Ron Black, L.C.S.W.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding evidence based practice interventions for children and adolescents with the DSM-5. Specifically, a professional will:
Identify the organizational structure of the DSM-5.
Recognize changes to diagnostic recording procedures.
Describe the current diagnostic categories for substance abuse disorders
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1233
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .