Psychotropic Medication, a Review by NIMH
This course is based on a publication of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) about medications used in the treatment of mental illness. It is written in simple terms and reviews relief of symptoms and the four major categories of psychotropic medication. It includes classes of drugs within each category, for example the different types of antidepressant medications and gives the reader information about effectiveness and side effects. This publication also reviews the use of psychotropic medications in special groups such as children, the elderly and women of childbearing age. This publication is an excellent primer for the mental health professional and provides the practitioner with a great deal of much needed information.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may work with clients who take psychotropic medications. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who do not know a lot about psychotropic medication and who wish to develop their clinical skills.
Author: National Institute of Mental Health
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of psychotropic medications used in the treatment of mental illness. Specifically, a professional will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the four major categories of psychotropic medications and the classes of drugs within each category.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the effectiveness and side effects that are typical for each class of psychotropic medication.
- Demonstrate knowledge that reflects basic information about psychotropic medication use with children, the elderly and women of childbearing age.
Citation: National Institute of Mental Health. Medications. NIH Publications No. 02-3929. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD and committee in 2019 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 123
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .