Play Therapy – Dibs in Search of Self
This course is based on the renowned book by Virginia Axline, the author of Play Therapy ( Ms. Axline is one of the original and leading proponents of this therapy). The book is an in depth case study, told in narrative form, of a young boy who is successfully treated through play therapy. Not only is this book a wonderful introduction into the field of play therapy for mental health practitioners who have little experience working with children, it is a refreshing reminder of basic principles for all practitioners who provide therapy for children and /or adults.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who work in multidisciplinary or team environments or who work with clients with mental health problems. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to advance their clinical skills.
Author: Axilne, Virginia
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with a review play therapy tools as well as details about specific techniques utilized in this form of treatment. Specifically, a professional will:
- Demonstrate knowledge about the methods used to form a therapeutic bond with a non-communicative child.
- Describe methods of play therapy.
- Identify therapeutic techniques in which mental health professional can effect lasting change.
Citation: Axline, V.M. (1964) Dibs In Search of Self. Random House: New York. ISBN 0-345-29536-6.
About Getting Course Materials: The course material for this course is the book itself. The most convenient and easiest way to obtain this book is to purchase this book from Amazon.com by clicking on the picture of the book or clicking on the Get Course Materials Link. Of course, you can borrow it from the library or from a friend, or you can purchase it at the local book store.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit. Social workers participating in this course will receive 6 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 122
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .