ASAM Understanding and Using Current Criteria
The American Society of Addition Medicine (ASAM) has developed and promulgated a unified set of patient placement criteria for the assessment, treatment planning and level of care determinations required for substance abusing clients. This set of criteria, first developed over 10 years ago has gained in both popularity and usage by state and other accrediting bodies. In October of 2013, ASAM published an updated set of criteria. This course is designed to overview the purpose and usage of ASAM. It addition, it summarizes the changes that have recently gone into effect.
This course on understanding and using ASAM criteria is designed for employees in substance abuse assessment and treatment organizations. The course is also appropriate for healthcare professionals including substance abuse counselors, social workers, psychologists, nurses, and professional counselors who do clinical work and may assess or treat clients with substance abuse problems. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop or update their ability to use ASAM criteria.
Authors: Toni DiDona, Ph.D., L.C.S.W., Ron Black, L.C.S.W.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the use of ASAM criteria. Specifically, a professional will:
- Identify ASAM and the history of its development
- Describe how ASAM criteria fit into the assessment process
- Identify ASAM Levels of Care
- Describe ASAM Dimensional Criteria
Citation: Ce-Classes.com (2015). Understanding and Using Current ASAM Criteria. All rights reserved. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1135
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .