Mental Health Care for Hispanic Americans updated 2018
This course is based on a comprehensive report on Mental Health and Ethnicity published by the Office of the Surgeon General of the United States. This course provides therapists and healthcare professionals with up to date information on the status of, needs for, availability of and outcomes of mental health services for Hispanic Americans. This course is designed for both clinicians and administrators who work in both private and public, and urban and rural areas. Updated information from NAMI was added in late 2018.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who work with a diverse client base. This course is appropriate for beginning and intermediate level practitioners who wish to improve their skills in the area of multiculturalism and cross-cultural competency.
Author: Surgeon General of the United States
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with information about mental health care for Hispanic Americans. This course includes information on cross-cultural competency and multiculturalism. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the need for mental health services, including key issues in understanding research, mental disorders in adults, children and the elderly within the Hispanic American population.
- Identify the specific mental health problems of Hispanic Americans, including somatization, culture-bound syndromes, and information regarding high-need groups within this population.
- Identify differrences in the availability, accessibility, and utilization of mental health services as well as the appropriateness and the outcomes of services for the Hispanic American populations.
Citation: Surgeon General of United States (2001). Mental Health Care for Hispanic Americans, Mental Health: Culture, Race, and Ethnicity. A Report of the Surgeon General. Updates from NAMI and current references added 11/18.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 112
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .