Guidelines for Psychotherapy with Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients
This course is based on the guidelines for psychotherapy published and promulgated through the American Psychological Association. This publication includes 16 guidelines for practice which are divided into 4 categories; attitudes toward homosexuality and bisexuality; relationships and families; issues of diversity and education. These guidelines provide psychologists and other mental health professionals with principles by which to guide their practice and interventions with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients.
This course provides useful information for a wide range of disciplines who work with gay and lesbian clients. It provides guidelines for interactions that are based upon respect and dignity for clients. Although the principles were produced by the APA, they are helpful for social workers, mental health counselors, marriage and family therapists and certified addiction professionals as well.
This course is appropriate for psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, marriage and family therapists, midwives and others. This course is targeted for all levels of practitioner, particularly those with little training or experience working with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients.
Author: American Psychological Association
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a clinician with detailed information and guidelines for working with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients. Specfically, after completing this course participants will:
- Identify a frame of reference for the treatment of lesbian, gay and bisexual clients.
- Identify areas of assessment, intervention, when working with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients.
- Identify guidelines for practice with lesbian, gay and bisexual clients.
This course was reviewed and determined to be current on 3/15/18 by TM DiDona,PhD- according to the APA website “Each of the 21 new guidelines provide an update of the psychological literature supporting them . . . the guidelines are intended to inform the practice of psychologists and to provide information for the education and training of psychologists regarding LGB issues.” Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 103
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .