HIV the Basics
This course provides an introduction to the topics of HIV and AIDS. The history and diagnosis of HIV are reviewed, as are transmission and treatment. Preventive strategies and prophylaxis, including protection of sexual partners, drug partners, and infants are discussed. Testing protocols and benefits are presented. There are extensive discussions of PrEP and PEP. Statistics about HIV and AIDS are discussed, as are strategies for living with HIV, including opportunistic infections.
This course is based upon material compiled by T. DiDona from several CDC websites and is available as an open-access article.
This course on HIV is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the basics of HIV and AIDS. The course material includes a review of CDC information on the basics of HIV and AIDS. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: DiDona, T., compiled from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sources
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with basic information regarding HIV and AIDS. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe how HIV is diagnosed
• Identify preventive and prophylactic strategies to reduce the transmission of HIV
• Describe how HIV disease progresses
Citation: HIV and AIDS Introduction and Overview. Information compiled by DiDona, T from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2018.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1016
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .