Mental Health Medications by NIH – updated
This CE course on mental health medications is based on material published on the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) website. The publication provides a brief overview of the medications used in the treatment of mental disorders and how these medications work. The publication also provides an overview of how these medications may interact with other medicines and the known side effects. The publication is written in simple, easy to read terms, that provide enough detail to help a social worker, counselor or psychologist better understand the medications used for depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and ADHD.
This continuing education course serves as an excellent resource for social workers, psychologists, counselors and other licensed mental health professionals who work in the area of mental health counseling or addiction treatment. Nurses who are not familiar with the medications used in the treatment of mental disorders can also benefit from this course. This continuing education course on medications provides useful information for professionals who work with clients with mental disorders. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may also work with clients who have been diagnosed with a mental disorder and need to improve their skills in working with this population.
This course is appropriate for beginning, and intermediate level practitioners who wish to learn more about mental health-related medications. It is also a good resource for licensed professionals who need continuing education and don’t know a lot about psychotropic medications.
Authors: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with detailed information about mental health-related medications. Specifically, the practitioner will:
- Distinguish the types of medications used for specific mental disorders.
- Identify the known side effects of medications associated with the treatment of specific mental disorders.
- Identify the warnings or precautions associated with classes of medications that are used to treat mental disorders.
Citation: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). Mental Health Medications. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health retrieved on 2/2/19 from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/mental-health-medications/index.shtml
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1008
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .